Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Hey there! I'm Fat Farmgirl, a.k.a Miki Odendahl.

My friends call me "Fat Miki;" maybe because I'm in the Mob and don't know it?

Anyway, I make natural soaps, can veggies and preserves, make wine, herbal tinctures, creams, bath stuff and do a lot of needlework. A long time ago, I made soap and hand-dipped candles all the time. Then, life got busy, other projects took over, and pretty soon my soap kettle and beeswax pots found themselves gathering dust and cobwebs.

I am a weekend homesteader, married to a "starving artist" filmmaker, and sharing a house with our best friend. We do a lot of charity work, raise organic vegetables for those who need food, and spend a lot of our time making and doing. To support my life and projects, I'm cleaning out the pots and kettles and offering my soaps and stuff for sale. Real soap is so much better--and better for you--than synthetic chemical detergents.

At its most basic, soap is just salt. It works by changing the way water acts to wash dirt away. In handmade soap making, tallow, lard and vegetable oils are mixed with natural lye to cause a chemical reaction that converts the fats to create these cleansing salts; when you're done, no lye remains, just pure soap, and people like me add things like milk, honey, essential oils, herbs, flowers and clays to make everything that needs cleaning extra special. You can find my mail order shop on Etsy at: https://www.etsy.com/shop/FATFARMGIRLSOAPCO Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment